Thursday 1 August 2013

catching up on the vegan recipe plugs: shepherd's pie and chocolate chip cookies

For some reason, March seemed to put me in the mood for posting good recipes that we've tried. Since then? Well, we've still been eating. And we have tried out a few new recipes over the past few months. All were definitely edible. Some were even delicious!

I've finally decided it's time to start catching up on the recipe posting – starting off with what I'll call the "Heavy Metal Adam's birthday extravaganza" meal.

(I should qualify what I mean by "extravaganza" here. It's not often I cook by myself, so if more than one thing emerges from my efforts, and none of it was pre-made, and it tastes good, well, that qualifies as an extravaganza in Laura's cooking terms.)



The Main Course

Vegan Shepherd's Pie

http://www.girlmakesfood.com/vegetarian-shepherds-pie/

We've tried a few different versions of Shepherd's Pie over the last few years, but I think this one turned out to be the best so far.  This blend of beans, mushrooms and veggies worked really well, and the gravy was particularly tasty. An interesting twist for this recipe was the cauliflower in the mashed potatoes (http://www.girlmakesfood.com/healthy-mashed-potatoes/). I had heard of mashing cauliflower but had never tried it - the cauliflower/potato combo seemed to have some enhanced, blended flavour without the cauliflower being noticeable as a distinct taste or texture. I highly recommend!

Dessert

Vegan Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/05/vegan-oatmeal-chocolate-chip-cookies.html

My mom makes some of the best vegan-friendly oatmeal chocolate chip cookies with coconut. So tasty!  But I can't reproduce my mom's baking, so didn't even try. Instead, I found this vegan cookie recipe featuring chocolate chips, oatmeal and coconut, and decided to have a go. Like it says, they're chewy - deliciously so, and so loaded with chocolate. The heavy metal cookie monster gave them his mark of approval (rapid consumption) - an excellent sign!

Next time... strawberry rhubarb muffins.

No comments: